Background

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summer Yumminess!!!!

Alright, so I said previously that I was going to post a really tasty summer recipe. I love recipes that use fruit. In fact, this past fall I made a crazy good dish using apples and pork. Mmmm! For this recipe, however, you use tender peaches and thinly sliced shallots to create a really amazing summery taste sensation! How does that sound?!? Pretty good right? It is. :) And what's the best part about this dish, besides the taste? THE TIME! It's super quick.

SKILLET PORK CHOP SAUTE WITH PEACHES
Serves 4

Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
4 boneless pork loin chops
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons thinly sliced shallots
2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme*
2 peaches, sliced into about 8 wedges
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons butter

*Note: I used fresh rosemary and it tasted fantastic! I didn't have thyme on hand. Haha...that kind of sounds funny. I'm a nerd. Moving on!

The first thing I did was prep my ingredients. This always make things go a lot quicker and more smooth if you have everything together. So I took my pork chops out, washed them, patted them dry and sprinkled them with salt and pepper.


 

Sexy shallot
Next, I sliced up my shallots. I used a whole shallot because I love their onion flavor. I sliced up the peaches. I used white peaches only because that's what was available at the small (sometimes understocked) commissary on base. I bought three...ate one...used two for this recipe. It was really tasty and super juicy! Then after slicing my peaches, I chopped up my rosemary; mincing it ever so slightly. I put all of the shallots, peaches, and rosemary into a bowl because they would be added at the same time.
Next, I put the olive oil in the skillet and heated it up on a medium-high heat. I added the pork into the skillet and left it there to brown and form a super yummy crust. It took about 4 minutes on each side or so. Depending on the thickness. It's your call. I always check mine too once they are done with a meat thermometer. You can ask Matt...I will not eat anything if it looks undercooked. One night, the light was hitting the chicken just right to made it look like it was slightly pink (it wasn't I later found out)...but I ate around it. Pushed it around on my plate. Made a few "ewwww" comments. :) The things he puts up with! :) :) :) Anyway!!!

While the pork was cooking, I chopped up veggies for the salad and made some brown rice. I removed the pork once it was done and set it aside in a bowl to accumulate those juices! Then I threw in the rosemary, shallots, and peaches into the skillet and let them cook about 2 minutes or so. You then add the 1/2 cup white wine into the mix. It doesn't have to be fancy wine! This chick used a flavorful boxed wine...of the Vella region. :) Hey, it's what I had. When you stir the wine in though, make sure to scrape up all those yummy brown bits on the bottom! They are flavor fairies!

I love the colors here
Bring the wine to a boil and cook it for about two minutes to reduce the liquid down a bit. Stir in your broth and honey (I whisked the two together beforehand) and bring that to a boil; cooking for about 2 minutes so it's reduced a bit. Then you remove it from the heat and stir in your butter to get the sauce thickened just a little bit and super velvety! I added the pork back into it along with stirring in those juices!!!, just to keep them warm.

Yummmm!!!!
I served it over brown rice and of course...say it with me...a salad! :) The flavors were amazing. It wasn't too sweet at all...I was a little fearful of that. The pork was cooked perfectly. Matt really enjoyed it and even has been enjoying some for lunch since there were left overs. The calorie count, you ask? 235! Not shabby at all. This recipe is definitely going into the "make again" folder in this house! And I hope if you try it out, you'll feel the same!! Here's the link: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/skillet-pork-chop-saute-50400000112979/ Until next time!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Jeni, This was FABULOUS!!! I followed it to a T with the exception of dry white wine, all I had was a Semi-Sweet Chardonnay so I used it and of course I poured some extra wine in a glass to enjoy while preparing this yummy dish! I served it with brown rice and steamed broccoli! I will be making this again!

    Thanks for sharing this great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!! I'm so glad you liked it!!! I love pork and fruit! :) any combination makes me smile hehe! I'm glad you enjoyed that nice glass of wine too! The cook always deserves a treat or two ....or ten lol jk :)

      Delete