Background

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Traveling Tuesdays....China!

So for this week's world travel cuisine I asked Matt if he wanted to "go" to India or China. He chose China! :) I decided that doing a stir fry would be cheating, so I chose to do a Mongolian Beef dish with snow peas and red bell pepper (for added veggies!). I know...kind of stir fry-ish...but it's something I've never done and hey, China is big and has so many amazing dishes that I plan to do one or two other recipes in the weeks to come! For tonight, however, here's this tasty recipe!

MONGOLIAN BEEF
Serves 4

Ingredients

1 pd flank steak, trimmed of fat and sliced into thin slices
Cooking spray
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger*
1 teaspoon roasted minced garlic*
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper*
4 green onions

Added: snow peas and red bell pepper
 
*Note: I used the following things because I had them on hand (1) instead of fresh ginger, crystallized ginger (2) plain fresh garlic and (3) ground red pepper

The first thing I did was slice the flank steak and set it aside while I cut up the bell pepper, green onions, garlic, and ginger.











Next thing is to spray a pan with the cooking spray and start browning the flank steak.

Sizzle sizzle

Yummy sauce :)
While the meat was browning I mixed together the hoisin sauce, water, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and red pepper. Smells great, by the way! :) I also whipped up some boil in a bag jasmine rice (as suggested by the website).

Once the meat was browned I took it out of the pan and set it aside in a bowl. I put the bell pepper and snow peas into the pan to cook up without over cooking the meat.
I added the meat back in with the veggies once they were tender and mixed the green onions along with the sauce to coat evenly over everything! Let it cook for about 2 minutes and serve! That's it!


Matt and I really liked the dish! It was spicy since I used ground red pepper and probably should have used less since it was supposed to be crushed red pepper (whoopsie!), but we both really liked it a lot and liked the spice! And it was easy! Always a plus. The calorie count for the dish is 240 calories per serving. I served it with a side salad and of course the rice. Matt likes his rice. :)

Overall, I think this was a successful "trip" this week and I would definitely make it again. I hope that if you make it, that you like it just as much! :)

Here is the recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mongolian-beef-10000001896064/


1 comment: